Monday, October 26, 2009

Bowling Championship Begins

Steph and I joined a new bowling league that opened last night. It's the third or fourth league we've been in together and we try to have fun.

But, last night's league gave me a new mission.

"Win the whole fucking thing" (Roger Dorn, Major League)

Why am I so serious about this?

Because we arrived at the alley, walked by all the teams, scoped them out (lots of gutter balls...) and parked at our assigned lane.

The analysis of the opposition is quite simple.

Lots of kids.

That's right, we joined a "family" bowling league, and half of our family is our dogs - no kids.

So, we show up, Steph is about a 140 bowling, I'm about a 155. We should dominate this thing.

We played against a nine year old boy and his aunt who appeared tired just watching the practice rounds.

Game One - I come out hot, roll a 199, feelin' pretty good. Lots of strikes, even a turkey and a double or two. Steph was solid as well, in the mid-130's. I hadn't bowled since late July, Steph had bowled just once since then. Not a bad debut.

It helps that there was literally no pressure on us. The 9 year old bowled like a 60 something, the aunt bowled in the 70's. Neither even closed out a single frame.

PURE DOMINATION.

Game two was similar, I kind of got tired, which is semi-embarrassing. But I finished strong with a 150-something. I lost to Steph, though. Our opponents totaled a 190.

I think we won by like 400 pins. I'm not a mathematician for crying out loud - let's be honest, I was a communication major at Concordia. But it was multiple 100's.

I talk a big game here on my blog. But, we had fun with it. The kid was pretty cool, and during warm-ups, he tried to copy my whack-bowling style. The aunt was nice, too, and don't worry, we didn't taunt them or anything.

I did learn one thing - Steph and I will be gunning for each other in this league.

As we walked out, I looked at the other scores on the screens. I don't remember seeing any in the 100's.

Handicap will clearly come into play, especially since I bowling about 20 pins over my average in week one. But, it really shouldn't matter. We should crush every week.

At this point, you may be wondering about our intentions of joining a "family" bowling league - we get a Wii at the end of this league, no brainer!

That means it's me against Steph - Bring it On!!!

3 comments:

  1. I was gonna rip on you for all that stuff, until you got to the Wii. With that on the line, it's game on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next, why don't you challenge a girl scout pack to an arm wrestling contest for their cookies.
    Jorge

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hilarious that you are in a "family league"...Steph will have to watch her language! Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete