Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Prepare for a Let Down

I'm pretty psyched that I have a comment, thanks sis! I also know of at least three other readers aside from my commenter, which is huge. That's two more than I anticipated. I was banking on my loyal wife, Steph, to be only reader - and that was only because I was going to make her read it immediately after I posted it before my writings drifted off into cyberspace irrelevance!

So, with that, here comes a big let down. It's been nearly a week since my last post, and everyday I think of things that inspire me to write, and I really don't have anything.

But, it's okay, by now we should all be used to let downs, at least Minnesota Sports Fans should be...

I'm well trained in being let down, but I am very poor at handling it. I get my hopes up any time a MN sports franchise appears to be succeeding.

So, in preparation of the next big let downs - the next two that occurred to me today are from the Minnesota Vikings. This sucks because they are 6-0 and not even playing to their potential. I can see a 1998 coming. Dominant regular season, some big wins (including at Pittsburgh this Sunday much to the chagrin of our soccer coach Joe!) and even a dominating playoff win at the Dome. Then, wham, a huge shocking loss.

But that's not even the let down I'm worried about most. I'm far more concerned about what I saw in my Sports Illustrated (SI) this evening. One of the first articles is about a billionaire LA mogul who wants to build the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums. Yikes. This thing is sweet. Who wouldn't want to play there? And why WOULDN'T the Wilf's want to sell the squad for a pretty billion dollars and make a huge profit a la Red McCombs?

Clearly Minnesota will not build a Vikings stadium. Fresh of the Gophers' TCF Bank Stadium and the Twins' Target Field along with the awesome economy, I think the public (liberals and conservatives alike) is done with ponying up public funds for pro sports.

What concerned me most about the SI article is that we were not one of the four front running teams mentioned as likely suitors. In fact, SI even went as far as to write us off completely because they thought it was a forgone conclusion that we'd solve our stadium issue here because of the fact that the Twins and Gophers both got new houses.

What the fuck happened to journalism? Do your homework buddy. What a hack. All it would take would be to find ONE stinking stadium article on Star Tribune's website, and if that article wasn't enough, just read all the "insightful" comments.

No Chance!

Speaking of let downs, tonight is the Powerball drawing, and yes, I did get my ticket. I was smart enough to "delegate" that assignment to my awesome intern, Tim Evans, who also works part time at the North Mpls EZ Stop. I told him today that no matter what it's the last time I have him buy my ticket, because if I win, I won't be purchasing more Powerball tickets (duh) and if I lose, he fucked that assignment up, why would I give it to him again?

I apologize for the course language, but one of my favorite writers, Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone, curses like a sailor and his shit cracks me up. So, grow some thick skin America. You can watch rated R movies, and if you take the time to read this far down on my blog, I'm not even worried about offending you at this point.

Wish me luck on overcoming my next big let down - tonight's Powerball drawing.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. don't worry, the LA Jaguars will take that debate off our hands soon enough. And I also have absolutely no faith that Childress won't make a Denny Green-esque "kneel out and take OT"-type of decision in him. Meanwhile, the Spanks will make the WS. Lovely autumn, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete